If you have suffered personal injury as a result of an auto accident in Oregon, you may be wondering “Do I have a case?” Fortunately, we’re here to help. At the law office of Paul C. Galm, we understand the challenges associated with auto accidents. For over 14 years, we have helped victims file a bodily injury claim and receive a fair car accident settlement in the Portland, Beaverton, and Hillsboro metro areas. Should you file a claim? Read on for answers to common auto accident questions below.

Do I need a Lawyer?

If you have suffered any type of injury as a result of a car accident in the Portland, Oregon metro area, you should contact a lawyer immediately. Waiting to take action can result in loss of evidence, among other complications. A seasoned personal injury attorney can create the most effective case possible to help you get the compensation you deserve.

Should I Settle with the Insurance Company?

Avoid speaking to the other driver’s insurance company without consulting a personal injury lawyer first. You might say something that could negatively impact your case and result in less compensation than you are entitled to. Insurance companies do not have your best interest in mind and may attempt to use information that you provide against you later on.

How Long Do I Have to File A Claim?

In Oregon, victims have up to two years to file a personal injury lawsuit following an accident. While Oregon’s statutes of limitations gives you two years, you should act as quickly as possible to avoid complications with insurance companies. For example, the time period to file a claim with your insurance provider or the other driver’s provider can be much shorter than the set statutes of limitations. This is why it is critical to consult with a reputable auto accident attorney.

Do I meet the DMV Accident Reporting Requirements?

In accordance with Oregon law, you must submit an official accident report within 72 hours if the accident resulted in personal injury or death, property damage of $1,500 or more, or the towing of a vehicle. You must also return your completed accident report to your local DMV office in Beaverton, Portland, or Hillsboro, Oregon.

Handling an auto accident or personal injury claim is difficult, but you don’t need to do it alone. For a free consultation from a highly experienced auto accident attorney in the Portland area, contact us today. Paul’s goal is to help you navigate the sticky legal system and win you just compensation while you focus on what is most important: getting better.