A safe Halloween is a happy Halloween. Here’s what you need to know about celebrating Halloween in Oregon, including safety tips, safety facts, and fun Halloween events.
Halloween Safety Facts
According to the National Safety Council, children are more than twice as likely to be hit by a car and killed on Halloween than any other day of the year. Young drivers between the ages of 15-25 accounted for almost a third of all fatal car accidents involving child pedestrians on Halloween.
Halloween Safety Tips for Parents
- Make sure children are wearing bright colors or reflective tape on their Halloween costumes
- Ensure that your children are only trick-or-treating in well-lit, safe neighborhoods
- Be sure to accompany any children who aren’t old or mature enough to trick-or-treat on their own
- Discuss safe driving practices and extra caution before letting your teenagers drive on Halloween night
- If you’re handing out candy, make sure your porch is clear of wet leaves and other tripping hazards
- Restrain pets to prevent dog bites
- If you’re throwing an adult Halloween party, follow alcohol safety tips like serving plenty of food and offering transportation options
Halloween Events for Kids in Portland, Oregon
Love Halloween? Celebrate all month long, with fun Halloween events around Portland, perfect for entertaining your little ones.
Howloween at the Zoo, October 20, 21, 27, 28
Looking for a safe way to celebrate Halloween? Bring your kids to Howloween at the Zoo, where costumed trick-or-treaters learn about wildlife in a fun scavenger hunt throughout the zoo. Best for kids ages 2-12.
Portland Children’s Museum: Not So Scary Halloween
Keep your eye on the Portland Children’s Museum calendar for their annual Not-So-Scary Halloween celebration. Not only can kids decorate their own trick-or-treat bags, listen to spooky stories, participate in a pumpkin smash, and have glow-in-the-dark painting done, but they also get to enjoy a night of trick-or-treating around the museum and a dance party with a special DJ.
Bella Organic Farm Pumpkin Patch & Corn Maze
From hay rides and petting zoos to the pumpkin patch and corn maze, Bella Organic Farm has plenty of Halloween fun for all ages. Feeling brave? Check out the Haunted Corn Maze on Friday and Saturday nights in October.
Stay safe out there!