PIP insurance for car accidents

Oregon law requires all drivers to purchase Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance. This automobile insurance policy, also known as no-fault car insurance, covers medical expenses for injuries of anyone involved in a car accident. In this blog, we’ll explain exactly who and what gets covered under PIP insurance, so you’re well-equipped in case you need to use this insurance coverage.

Who: Drivers, Passengers, Bystanders

With PIP insurance, you as the driver are not the only one covered if you experience an injury. Anyone injured due to a car accident will be covered by the policy, regardless of who was at fault. This includes car passengers, cyclists, and even pedestrians.

Several states in addition to Oregon have established this law. Legislators hope to prevent a long payout process on personal injury claims and ensure that those injured are able to get the medical treatment they need after a car accident. However, in some states, you may refuse coverage. This often comes with rules about filing law suits after a car accident. Check with your insurance provider for specifics on your policy.

What: Medical Expenses

Regardless of who is at fault, PIP insurance will cover reasonable medical expenses for anyone who suffers an injury due to a car accident. In most states, the policy is eligible for up to one year or until expenses reach a specified dollar amount, often $15,000. It can also cover lost wages and funeral expenses related to the accident.

Typically, your healthcare insurance will cover medical expenses that go beyond PIP coverage. Medical care covered by PIP insurance usually also requires it to be under a medical doctor’s guidance to be eligible. Be sure to check in with your insurance provider for exact details on your policy.

Dealing with an Accident

If you or a loved one has been injured due to a car accident, a personal injury attorney can help you sort it all out. This can be especially helpful for tough situations such as dealing with an uninsured motorist or a hit and run. Paul Galm has worked in personal injury and negligence law for over 15 years, serving the Beaverton and Portland, OR areas.

If you have questions about personal injury protection or are seeking legal representation, contact Paul Galm today to set up a free consultation.